Thursday, August 9, 2007

it took me by surprise

When Curtis asked me if we could open our home every morning for 30 days at 8:30am to have students over for quiet times, my first response was possibly less than Christlike. I said yes, but I was dragging my feet a little bit...every morning? What about 10am?

We've been going for over 3 weeks now, and all but 2-3 mornings have had at least one if not several kids/parents at our house. And guess what? They are actually QUIET. They usually go for 50-60 minutes minimum, and they read, journal, and pray. One day I remember it was over 2 hours (I stopped after one and made my menu for the week :).

Here's the part that surprised me a bit...I LOVE it. I actually teared up yesterday thinking about how it was going to end soon (school is coming!). I teared up today watching one girl ask another about something in the scriptures.

Not only has it built community among our kids, but it's been so good for me. When people are coming over, there is simply no room for justifying away why you can't have a quiet time that day! I'm growing to cherish and need that time.

Has anything surprised you all lately?

1 comment:

ang said...

Thanks for the encouraging words! Jake just saw your picture and said "it's Jane and Curtee, say hi to them, mom" so this comment is from the both of us :o) Glad to hear you're doing well. We love you guys!