Friday, August 29, 2008

More of the Amazing Rebekah

So these last two days at home have been quite the adventure. So much fun, but challenging nonetheless. Ann (Jane's mom) has been a huge help. We keep trying to tell her that she is here to play with the baby, not do our housework!

Jane is trying to figure out how to sleep and listen to Bekah breath at the same time. So far...unsuccessful. But I will let you all know when she has discovered the trick.

We had some difficulties getting breastfeeding going the first several days for several reasons. But as of this afternoon, all seems to be going well in that department. Bekah was born with a short frenulum (the thingy that holds your tongue in your mouth) - you can thank me for that. It's hereditary and I too have a short one. This was making it difficult for her to latch on without severely hurting Jane.


Bekah seriously loves sucking on anything and everything she can get her mouth on. With nursing not going so well, she was being deprived of some serious suck-action. And thus, when Jane was changing her diaper this morning focusing in on the nastiness in her diaper, I happened to observe Bek latching on with full and proper technique to her own big toe! And I thought thumb sucking was going to be an issue...


Here's the fairly severe newborn rash that Bek has. Who would have thought that the flawless, smooth skin she dawned coming out of the womb would be overtaken by this chicken-pox resembling rash all over her body. The doc told us today that it is completely normal and should start to disappear this weekend. This is only her second bath, and it was tag-teamed by Jane and Ann.


A mother and her baby. My wife and my daughter. My two girls. Oh, how I love you both...


Grandma got Bekah all dressed up for visitors tonight. She's looking tired after a 3 - 4 hour stretch of being awake and alert. I can't believe how cute her clothes are. Thanks to whoever got us this outfit.


Is there anything cuter than this? Face scrunched. Drooling. Just lovely...

We have only just begun the journey with our precious baby. Can't wait to continue to share it with you on this blog - especially those of you who will miss the daily happenings in her life because of distance.

Here is another way to keep up on her pictures. I have a Facebook album that is open to anyone. Just click the link below.
Click here for the latest pictures of Bekah on my Facebook

And when we were in the hospital we had free pictures taken of Bek. Check them out here. They can be purchased at the website if you are interested.
Click here if you want to see Bek's newborn pics taken at the hospital

5 comments:

Eric 'n Leah said...

Hey Jane! Congrats again! I wanted to write and let you know that Miles was born tongue tied too. We opted to have it clipped in the hospital...nursing has been SO MUCH better since then. He's not mad, I'm not mad/hurting. The 'procedure' (it took all of 10 minutes with topical gel to numb it) didn't seem to bother him at all. If you Dr. hasn't mentioned it yet...ask! :-) Love, Leah

Anonymous said...

Rebekah is very cute. Thanks for all the pictures. Good job Grandma on helping out in all the ways only you can!Kitty

Greg and Andrea said...

Thanks so much for adding the link to your facebook photos. That satisfied my photo need (for the moment). Keep 'em coming!

Karyn said...

Hello,

(Just in case you're not sure who this comment is from... I'm Karyn your cousin James' wife.)

Congratulations on your little girl! We are very happy for you!

And, I couldn't help but notice that Rebekah was born at the same hospital where I was born. Small world. Hopefully it's been renovated and updated some since then! Anyway, just a random little fact for you. :-)

One of these days we need to get together while James, the boys, and I are in the Bay Area visiting my family.

Thanks for posting pictures of the newest cousin! Love, Karyn

Curtis and Jane said...

Thanks for all the comments-Leah, I'm so glad the procedure helped Miles. We did have it done...the jury's still out on breastfeeding, but I'm giving it a go for now.

And Karyn, I'd LOVE to get together next time you guys are in town. I've heard that you are pretty wonderful and I haven't seen Jamie in ages or your kids ever! Do let us know. :)

Jane